After another long haul of a semester the dust has finally settled and I am ready to reflect a bit on the outcome. I set out early in the month of September on a piece that took pretty much the duration of the semester. I was interested in creating a work that defied the idea of the ascending/ descending nature of a stairwell based on changing the ordinary formal language of a banister handrail.
Some crude cauls I used for a series of glue ups.
This particular technique for joinery gave me the freedom for error in glue up as well as a room for grain movement.
A zillion passes later the form began to take shape.